Carpet Care Tips
Remodeling your home or office can be a time consuming and expensive endeavor. Even the highest quality carpet requires frequent maintenance to look it’s best. With easy and regular care, you can protect your investment and keep your carpet looking great for as long as possible. Check out these simple carpet care tips:
- It is important to vacuum your carpet thoroughly and frequently, particularly in high traffic areas to prolong the life of and enhance the appearance of your carpet.
- After your carpet is laid, vacuum lightly and frequently in the first week and then at least weekly and more frequently in high traffic areas after that.
- Give three vacuum passes for light soiled areas and five to seven passes for heavily soiled areas.
- Vacuum first against the pile direction to help unsettle and remove dirt and grit to reduce matting.
- When finishing, vacuum in the direction of the pile to achieve a uniform finish.
- Use only a quality vacuum. Heavy vacuums can mat down fibers over time and cause carpets to fray or lose softness.
- Consider a vacuum fitted with a HEPA filter, particularly if you are dust sensitive. Dust mite allergens are removed and stay in the collection bag or bin.
- To prevent excessive fuzzing: turn the brush off, or change the head when vacuuming loop pile, cut pile or berber carpet.
- Check and adjust the height of beaters if fitted regularly, to ensure the carpet is not damaged by excessive beating.
- For thicker carpets with a higher pile, the height of beaters may be raised and/or suction level reduced to make vacuuming easier.
- Suction efficiency is reduced considerably when bags are half full.
- Change or empty dust collection bags frequently and replace filters as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Depending on usage, carpet should be professionally steam cleaned every 12 months. This is often required to maintain a carpet manufacturer’s warranty!
- Steam Cleaning should only be undertaken by a professional carpet cleaner who is a member of a professional association.
- Shampooing, do it yourself steam cleaning or dry cleaning are not recommended.
- Clean up all spills immediately to avoid the penetration of a stain into the carpet fiber.
- Liquid spills (particularly hot liquids) if allowed to cool or dry, the stain will be more difficult to remove.
- DIY attempts at spot removal can cause permanent stains, fiber damage, and discoloration. It is best left to professionals.
- Exercise extreme care with all bleaches and chemical products as the can permanently discolor or dissolve carpets.
Ways to Protect Your Carpet:
- Place door mats at exterior doorways.
- Use furniture coasters and chair pads under chairs with castors and occasionally rearrange furniture to alleviate pressure marks.
- Use rugs to protect carpet in high traffic areas.
- Protect carpet from prolonged periods of direct sunlight with curtains or blinds. This will prevent permanent color fading.
Ready to replace your carpet instead? Visit an Area Floors location and one of our expert team members will help you select a quality carpet based on your needs, wants, and budget!